Tuesday 4 January 2011

瓶詰妖精 / Binzume Yōsei / Bottle Fairy


Why did I ever stop watching Bottle Fairy? I was really enjoying it when it first began, but then for some reason I just stopped. I don’t know why. Perhaps I was enjoying too many HEAVY things at the time.

Because Bottle Fairy is cute, fluffy, silly fun. It’s about four little fairies who live for some strange reason with a teenaged boy they call Sensei-san, and try to learn about the human world through the somewhat dubious sources of information they have access to – books, and the little kid who lives next door.

In many ways, it’s the spiritual successor to Azumanga Daioh, which remains amongst the very funniest series I’ve ever seen, anime or otherwise. The fairies themselves bear strong resemblances to Osaka, Tomo, Sakaki (though a little more boyish) and Chiyo (though they ALL have the supremely cute factor), and the humour is very similar. The direction, with quick, sketch-like scenes and character-driven, surreal comedy comes from the same school.

While it doesn’t have Azumanga’s emotional range, it does have a more accessible premise and, since it doesn’t have a background of realism, can be even more bizarre.

I must watch the rest. I was missing out, and series 2 is on its way!

(originally written 1.4.05. Sad now that there was no second season!)

No comments:

Post a Comment